Exeter City History Group
The Exeter City History Group was established in April 2015, following an open forum held with fans. The Committee consists of Trustees Paul Farley and Martin Weiler alongside Gabriella Giannachi and Will Barrett (University of Exeter), Brian Carpenter (Devon Heritage Centre) and Lewis Jones (volunteer), Alison Styles and Aidan Hamilton.
Latest News (21/04/16):
The Exeter City History Group, set up by Exeter City Supporters Trust, has now been going for a whole year and is about to hold its annual open forum.
Everyone is invited to the get together on Wednesday 4 May at 7pm in the Courtenay Room at St James Park.
The History Group Committee will provide an update on its activities including the new Grecian Archive and various other heritage projects.
One of these projects, funded by the University of Exeter, explored, through a couple of workshops, the way players and fans have interacted over the years.
A short film – ‘Players & fans : A history of interaction’ – has been made and will be premiered at the Forum. As well as a range of supporters the film also features City legends Alan Banks, Bob Wilson, Jimmy Giles, Peter Hatch and John Hore plus current player Matt Oakley.
Anyone attending is also invited to bring along any photographs they have relating to St James Park. These can then be copied as part of the Heritage Lottery Fund supported project on the history of St James Park. Any other memorabilia or personal stories about our Stadium are very welcome too. We are also looking for volunteers to work on this project. Training will be provided.
It would be helpful if you could let us know if you are planning to come to the Forum and/or willing to become a volunteer. Please contact the History Group at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Reception at the Club.
The Group works with the University of Exeter on the Grecian Archive and the Grecian Voices projects. Click on the logos below to explore City’s history. The University logo takes you to the new Grecian Archive. The Grecian Voices logo takes you to our project which includes information on the tour to Argentina and Brazil in 1914.
The committee reports to the Exeter City Supporters’ Trust Community Group (chaired by Paul Farley). You can read all the news from the Group below. Its aims include:
- Setting up a Former Players Association (this was launched on 20 July 2015)
- Establishing and maintaining an A-Z of players
- Depositing archives with the SW Heritage Centre
- Creating a museum at the ground
- Having a strong history web site to ensure open access to our records and other materials
- Importance of good listing and indexing of information we hold
- Learn from exemplar Clubs, e.g. Everton and Aston Villa
- Encourage people to donate or loan their archives, memorabilia etc
- Explore how to build good links with local schools (e.g. stadium tours)
- Importance of strong visual presentation of our history (photographs and film). Collect a team photo for every season
- Collecting oral history – e.g. supporters, players, staff, reserves and apprentices
News from the History Group
- Grecian Memories Film Launched
- Additions to the Dick Pym collection
- Fifa Museum make follow-up visit to ECFC
- Exeter University helping ECFC preserve its heritage
- Happy Houghton’s Medal Loaned to ECFC
- Fifa visit ECFC to discuss 1914 Brazil trip